Apprehensive about your job prospects? Involved you received’t be capable of get a graduate job? Dad and mom nagging you about your future plans? In that case, perhaps some optimistic information concerning the UK graduate labour market may shock you and raise your spirits. It’s far more optimistic than you may suppose.
Three current surveys, counting on analysis and knowledge somewhat than media messaging every shed a optimistic gentle on many sections of the UK graduate labour market. The Institute for Scholar Employers (ISE) lately surveyed its members earlier this month. 177 employers participated. ISE members are answerable for very lots of the graduate stage jobs within the UK.
- ISE members report graduate vacancies are up 20% on pre-pandemic ranges. 2022 vacancies are set to extend by an additional 22%.
- It’s at the moment a purchaser’s market. The numbers of finalists and graduates making use of for jobs has dropped. Virtually half of these recruiters surveyed are discovering it arduous to draw sufficient candidates. Some candidates are reneging on affords, suggesting they’ve had a couple of job supply.
- Not being on campus and never with the ability to supply in-person internships has impacted recruiters’ potential to draw candidates. The shortage of visibility might have contributed to the notion by college students that fewer graduate jobs can be found.
The annual Excessive Fliers 2022 survey into the graduate labour market represents the Occasions Prime 100 recruiters. A lot of their findings echo these of the ISE. It’s price noting that their members report:
- Accounting & skilled providers companies are anticipated to be the biggest recruiters of latest graduates in 2022, with a document 7,400 entry-level vacancies obtainable for university-leavers.
- For the primary time in eight years, graduate beginning salaries on the UK’s main graduate employers are set to extend in 2022, to a brand new median beginning wage of £32,000.
- Warwick stays within the high 10 Universities focused by Excessive Flier recruiters (6th this yr)
- Now that the majority Coronavirus restrictions have been lifted, virtually three-quarters of the UK’s high graduate employers are planning to ship in-person trip work placements and internships this summer season, although some placements and taster programmes are anticipated to stay on-line. That is excellent news for these of you who’ve been lacking out on in-person work expertise.
Prospect’s Charlie Ball, labour market specialist (and Warwick alumnus) who publishes a fortnightly UK labour market replace additionally echoes the findings of the ISE and Excessive Fliers. Charlie experiences:
- Sturdy demand for employees and candidate shortage drove up charges of beginning pay for each everlasting and non permanent employees at the beginning of the yr.
- Employment intentions stay optimistic throughout the board however are notably excessive in data and communication, healthcare and enterprise providers
- Employers have responded to recruitment challenges by elevating pay (48%) and promoting extra jobs as versatile (46%).
- Virtually half of employers have hard-to-fill vacancies. These are most typical in healthcare public administration and different public sector.
Vacancies on Warwick’s MyAdvantage database as of 21st February:
Grad jobs 675, work expertise 191 and UK Internships 181
My recommendation due to this fact:
- In case you are a Finalist who’s confused by the very point out of getting a job – at this level within the yr you possibly can select to depart making use of till after your exams. 1-1 careers assist continues for you as a Graduate for two years after you end uni
- The recruitment cycle for bigger companies will begin once more this summer season with recruitment and choice going down throughout autumn and early subsequent spring with a begin date of subsequent summer season so you’ll have a yr to fill when you anticipate the following cycle and might be competing with subsequent yr’s finalists. Smaller organisations will promote on a ‘want to rent’ foundation so recruitment might be all-year spherical
- In case you are a finalist eager to get a job however had assumed it could be difficult if not unattainable – suppose once more. There are jobs and you’ll apply now
- In case you are a penultimate yr scholar in search of in-person internships, do test MyAdvantage for alternatives in addition to recruiter webpages and LinkedIn. See additionally our useful work expertise pages
- Digital alternatives to study concerning the world of labor can be found by way of our companions Vibrant Community and Forage
- Keep in mind – any work expertise will add worth to your CV. That features volunteering, so try Warwick Volunteers and Unitemps for half time jobs
- You don’t want a profession thought to return and begin a dialog about profession planning! E book appointments by way of MyAdvantage and see how we can assist you.
My remaining message: You received’t get jobs you don’t apply for.