This entry was posted on Could 19, 2022 by Charlotte Bell.
Most of us spend an terrible lot of time sitting. Desk jobs could appear straightforward on the physique, however in actuality, all that sitting can wreak havoc on our bodily and cognitive well being. Results of an excessive amount of sitting embody foggy mind resulting from poor circulation, weakened belly and gluteal muscle tissues, neck issues from an excessive amount of flexion (aka textual content neck), hypertension, coronary heart illness and even probably colon most cancers. (Right here’s a Washington Submit chart that goes into extra element.) Yoga follow can definitely play an element in assuaging the stresses of sitting. Stretching the hip flexors is essential. Crescent Lunge Pose (Anjaneyasana) is among the only—and most accessible—poses for lengthening the hip flexors.
Crescent Lunge Pose helps stretch the hip flexors as a result of the again leg is in an prolonged place. That’s true for different lunge poses as effectively. However Crescent Lunge is exclusive in that the torso is upright. This provides a backbend to the combo, which stretches the hip flexors even additional.
The Downside with Crescent Lunge
You’ve in all probability seen images of flexible girls working towards Crescent Lunge with their again thigh nearly touching the bottom. These images could look spectacular, however they make me cringe. I’m no psychic, however I do perceive hip joint mechanics. After I see these images, I can envision these similar girls getting hip replacements down the highway.
If you enable your entire weight of your torso to bear down on the hip joint when it’s in excessive extension, you possibly can, over time, harm the cartilage and labrum. If you collapse towards gravity on this pose, the femur head presses into the socket below excessive strain. This wears down the cartilage and might even tear the labrum. Chances are high, you received’t really feel it on the time. That’s as a result of cartilage has no ennervation. You don’t really feel the harm till the cartilage is gone and your joint is bone on bone.
Stretch Your Hip Flexors AND Save Your Hips
The excellent news is, you possibly can follow Crescent Lunge safely. You simply have to let go of the concept that your thigh must be hovering simply inches above the bottom. Yoga will not be a “no ache, no acquire” endeavor. You don’t must push your self till you are feeling excessive sensation. In truth, creating the sensitivity to really feel refined sensation is extra indicative of “superior” follow than is pushing your self to an unhealthy restrict. No yoga pose is value damaging your joints!
Yoga Blocks may be key to working towards Crescent Lunge in a method that retains your hip joints secure. Positive, you possibly can follow safely with out blocks by merely not permitting your physique to break down towards the ground. However putting your arms on Yoga Blocks helps you chill out extra deeply into your pose.
Tips on how to Follow Supported Crescent Lunge
There are a number of methods to method Crescent Lunge Pose. I like to start with Uttanasana (Standing Ahead Bend Pose), in order that’s what I’ll describe right here. I like to put a folded Yoga Blanket below my again knee on this pose, particularly if I’m working towards on a tough flooring, however that’s optionally available.
Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Yoga Mat
- Two Yoga Blocks
- One folded Yoga Blanket (optionally available)
- Place a folded Yoga Blanket throughout the middle of your mat.
- Stand in Tadasana (Mountain Pose) at one finish of your mat, dealing with away from the “tail” finish of the mat. Place two Yoga Blocks on both sides of your toes at their tallest top.
- Bend ahead out of your hip joints into Uttanasana (Standing Ahead Bend Pose).
- Bend your knees sufficient which you could place your arms in your Yoga Blocks.
- Step your proper leg again in order that your again foot is a few leg size out of your entrance foot. Let your proper knee come to the bottom (or to your blanket). You might want to regulate the place of your blanket in order that it pads your knee.
- Your left shin needs to be vertical or close to vertical. If it’s not, regulate the space between your entrance foot and again knee.
- Along with your arms in your Yoga Blocks, carry your torso as much as vertical. Actively press your arms into your blocks, fairly than collapsing into them. This creates an upward rebound that energizes the higher physique.
- Take 5 to 10 deep breaths.
- Step your proper foot ahead into Uttanasana once more. Loosen up right here, respiration into your again.
- If you’re prepared, step your left leg again and repeat Crescent Lunge on the opposite aspect.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and commenced instructing in 1986. Charlotte is the creator of Aware Yoga, Aware Life: A Information for On a regular basis Follow and Yoga for Meditators, each revealed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and people sextet Pink Rock Rondo, whose DVD received two Emmy awards in 2010.